Tamiflu is Roche Pharmaceutical brand antiviral medication used to treat the flu. Tamiflu is succesful in attacking the flu virus to inhibit it from multiplying in your body and by minimizing the symptoms of the flu.
Tamiflu is prescribed for patients 2 weeks of age and older who have had flu symptoms (influenza A and B viruses) for no more than 2 days. Tamiflu is also sometimes used for prevention of the flu in patients 1 year of age and older. A frequent example would be a pregnant woman who is caring for other family members with the flu.
· Shorter sick time – When given within 48 hours of the onset of flu symptoms, research shows antiviral drugs lessen a person's sick time by about 17 hours in adults and 29 hours in children.
Taking Tamiflu as directed by your doctor can lead to:
· Milder symptoms – Antiviral drugs can make flu symptoms less severe, making it easier for you to rest and recover.
· Less chance of dangerous complications – Antivirals may also prevent serious flu complications , so they are particularly important for those at high risk like small children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with pre-existing conditions. Treatment with an antiviral drug may mean the difference between milder flu and a serious illness that requires a hospital stay.
Tamiflu Side Effects
· Digestive upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain)
· Psychiatric symptoms (hallucinations, abnormal behavior, self harm)
Skin reactions (any rash or allergic reaction must be reported immediately as it could become very serious)
ONLY take Tamiflu on the advice of a physician and always report immediately any serious side effects.